We’ve just released a major update to Gliffy Online today. This update had two major goals: allow you to draw faster, and give you more room to draw your fancy diagrams. We’ve allowed you to draw faster with our new Contextual Properties feature for shapes, lines and groups. We’ve also given you significantly more room to draw by completely removing the large properties area on the right side of Gliffy, as well as the footer area on the bottom.
Contextual Properties for Shape, Lines and Groups
The new Contextual Properties features gives you the power to change properties on a shape, line or group, quickly and with little hassle. No more hunting around the application interface to change a simple property, now it’s right there with one easy click. We’ve got a quick video to show you how simple and efficient it is to use the new Contextual Properties feature in Gliffy:
A few new features we’ve added within the Contextual Properties are:
- you can now change the arrows at the beginning and the end of the line independently, and we give you all arrow options based on the type of line you are drawing. For instance, if you are connecting UML shapes, we offer you the UML arrows in the selection options.
- if you have a selection that contains line, shapes and text, you can now change properties of each object type independently via the contextual properties, without having to select each object type separately.
Since we removed the properties area on the right hand side, we’ve moved the Document Properties content to a drop down, located on the top right of Gliffy next to the Revision History drop down. Clicking on the Document Properties drop down, gives you the same options you’ve had before, for instance, toggling the drawing guides and changing the page color and size.
Other interface changes
We’ve also removed the footer area at the bottom of Gliffy to give you more drawing space. The few elements that used to be located on the footer have moved. You can find our feedback link under the Help menu on the top right of Gliffy. You can find out more about Gliffy or contact us via the About button also located on the top right of Gliffy.
We’ve got many more exciting updates coming down the pipeline, so stay tuned!
Below is a complete list of bugs/improvements/features for this latest update:
- [GLIFFY-3381] – Folders: When any user creates a diagram, they are the only user listed for that folder
- [GLIFFY-174] – Turn off things like drop shadows even with everything selected
- [GLIFFY-378] – Revision History – Opening a revision from an edited revision with Save, opens one revision later
- [GLIFFY-3047] – Overlay points inconsistent after entering a lot of line of text in Class shape
- [GLIFFY-3119] – Overlay HUD flickers when drawing guides are turned on.
- [GLIFFY-3157] – Shape Popup not enabled when using sitemap and other templates
- [GLIFFY-3089] – Locking a shape not reflecting its changes to properties.
- [GLIFFY-3104] – Opening ERD template opens UML symbol library
- [GLIFFY-745] – Consider that Rubberband Selection default to not include connector lines
- [GLIFFY-2239] – If a shape that has line color is selected along with a line, user should be able to select line color for both at the same time
- [GLIFFY-2973] – Contextual Properties
- [GLIFFY-2815] – Include green org chart example as template
- [GLIFFY-190] – Have all arrowheads available in the dropdown
- [GLIFFY-2033] – Allow the user to change the line endings for UML, BPMN, etc.
- [GLIFFY-2787] – Make “Line End” feature more Apparent
- [GLIFFY-2968] – Shape properties should not be focusable when shape is locked
- [GLIFFY-2974] – Remove Footer Chrome
- [GLIFFY-3036] – Move Document Properties to Drop Down
- [GLIFFY-3039] – Physically remove old properties palette area on right